Where we wrestle with the sublime, mysterious, powerful and often frustrating paradox of God's necessary grace.

Friday, September 19, 2008

The Grace of Five Minutes

In early 2001, I was diagnosed with CHF: Congestive Heart Failure. My heart is weakened and enlarged, so it pumps blood less efficiently. That means I have less energy, less oxygen in my blood, and my body retains fluid in my legs easily.

As a consequence of the latter, I can't spend a lot of time sitting down without my feet and ankles swelling from fluid buildup, called "edema." This edema damages my skin, is a breeding ground for bacteria, and puts extra pressure on the veisn in my legs. Bad news all around.

My computer time has been drastically cut short.

Now I give myself five minutes to say here what I'm going to say, then I have to get up and move or lie down.

So I have five minutes of grace.

Okay, time's up. I will continue this in a few hours. I'm off to the gym to swim and walk in the pool.

No comments: